Aboriginal Education & Indigenized Curriculum
Aboriginal Education in School District 8 Kootenay Lake is designed to support the success of all Indigenous students, including those who self-identify as First Nations (status or non-status), Metis, and/or Inuit. Every effort is made to indigenize curriculum delivery for all online learning (OL) students. SD8 also provides targeted support for identified Aboriginal students.
In the spirit of Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action (#62-65) Education in Reconciliation, all Elev8 DESK online learning students will identify Indigenization goals, strategies, and resources in their personalized Student Learning Plan (SLP). Parents and/or guardians will have access to a bank of digital resources, links, and lesson plans. All of our online courses have elements of indigenization.
Aboriginal Student Support Process
SD8 Aboriginal programming provides support to Aboriginal OL students that is:
- supplemental to their regular school programming.
- consistently delivered over a period of time (i.e., 10-month school year).
- provided by School District 8 staff.
In order to qualify, students must first self-identify at the time of enrolment. Each qualifying student will have additional funds set aside to provide supplementary activities.
- A letter is sent home for parental/guardian signature and agreement for their child to participate in the program.
- Aboriginal Education staff contact the family and a school action plan will be created. Often this process occurs in collaboration with and/or during a Student Learning Plan meeting.
- A plan is organized for monthly support to the student. Each month, the student receives the following supports (at a minimum):
- 2 in person experiences (i.e., local classes, field trips, elder meeting, etc.);
- 1 online learning component; and
- 1 supplemental activity.
All instances of support are recorded and tracked. Aboriginal Education teacher will provide regular reports to the family, the primary OL teacher, and the SD8 Aboriginal Education Department.